pffffffffffffffffffffffffffff..

Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Western Michigan Christian Warriors Baseball Team

Some of you may know that I made a decision earlier this school year to play baseball. I haven't played baseball since my last year of little league, but since it is my senior I decided to give it another try. I always loved baseball, but after little league I decided to play soccer and to work in my dads greenhouses instead. This decision was a good one because I made a lot of money that will help me out immensely when college bills start coming in.

Anyways, as I said before I decided to play baseball this season and it has been a blast. We are currently 4-0 and 1-0 in our division. My coach has me batting lead-off which is a great honor to me and I've been playing right field. (right field is a highly distinguished and highly regarded position in high school baseball unlike it was when i was a little league-er)

We had our first conference game last night against Covenant Christian. (<-- this is a glimpse of what most of there team looked like) They were Conference Champs last year, and I was also informed they beat last years varsity squad quite handily. Such was not the case for last nights game. The final score was 9-6 in favor of the Warriors. Let me tell you of how we conquered them. They were up to bat first and ended the first inning with a 3-0 lead. We didnt have much luck against them in our first at bat. At this point, I was pretty optimistic of our chances for a win. We held them to no runs in the 2nd inning and we were up to bat again. This is where the magic begins. I batted lead off in the first inning, and didnt think it was likely that i would bat again in the 2nd. But fate had other plans. I watched as my team found numerous ways to get on base. One of my teamates barely hit the ball into play but still got on base. Another was hit by a pitch. And 1 other was struck out but sprinted to first base when the catcher dropped the ball. (This may be confusing to those of you who didnt know about this rule, but it does exist. If youre struck out and the catcher drops the ball, it is just like a hit and you can run.) We had the bases loaded with 1 out and i was in the hole. The person up to bat was walked and that brought in a run. That makes the score 3-1. The bases are still loaded with 1 out and I am on deck. The person up to bat strikes out which makes 2 outs. I am up with 2 outs and the bases loaded and were down 3-1. I was looking to get a base hit to bring in 1 or 2 runners. The first pitch was a ball. The second pitch I fouled off. The third pitch was right down the middle of the plate and I didnt hesitate to connect with it. I saw it leave my bat and caught a glimpse of it heading into the outfield into the left center gap. I immediately thought that i would be getting at least a double out of this hit. The first base coach was telling me to go for second base and i couldn't have been more happy to oblige. But as I was on my way to 2nd base I heard a large black man that attends all of our games yell 'ITS GONE!'
-which didnt at first register.
But then it did.
I JUST HIT A GRAND SLAM!!
I dont know if i have ever been so excited in my life. Rounding the bases watching all the poeple yelling and jumping around and my coach shaking his head and smiling at me. I stepped to home plate and my team bombarded me with high fives and hugs. My team mate Brett who was pitching this game told me how much he loved me (which was alot) and we all went back to the dug-out with a 5-3 lead.

*The Grand Slam Ball*


After that, the pitcher lost his confidence and we began to crush the ball all over the field. They brought in a few more runs but it wasnt enough to stop our momentum. We won the game 9-6. I went 2-for-3 with 5 RBI's and 2 Runs. I remember why I loved baseball so much now.

I can't wait for the next game.




Warriors Baseball Schedule - Come watch us play!

2 Comments:

At 10:28 AM, Blogger Andrea Wagenmaker said...

Nick-
I wish I could have been there to watch your moment of glory. Congrats and I am so proud of you.
Love, Andrea

 
At 4:28 PM, Blogger Q said...

I got to be there!! It was amazing to hear everyone in the stands saying things like: "he hasn't played since 6th grade, look at him go!!" I was proud to be the mama! You rock! I love you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home